Our iOS mobile app Telestration tool allows you to add drawings, shapes, and text to your video clips. (This feature is coming soon to our Android app.)
For play-based sports like football, softball, or baseball, you'll be able to add Telestrations from your VIDEOS, SCHEDULES, HIGHLIGHTS, and REVIEWS sections. (Athletes can only add Telestrations to the Highlights they have created.)
In flow-based sports like soccer, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, volleyball, or rugby, Telestrations are only available in the HIGHLIGHTS and REVIEWS sections. You must create a Highlight or a Review in order to add Telestrations to a clip. (Athletes can only add Telestrations to the Highlights they have created.)
Telestrations cannot be added to downloaded Highlights or Reviews at this time.
If you need help creating a Highlight or Review in the iOS app, please see this article here.
HOW IT WORKS:
When your Highlight or Review video clip is paused, you'll see a pencil icon appear in the upper right corner of your screen:
Tapping on that icon will put you into Telestration mode, and the menu of Telestration options will display along the top of the screen:
These options include (from left to right):
- A "Select" Tool. You can use this to 'reset' your current choice of active telestration, or to allow you to select one or multiple telestrations at once. You do this by either tapping on the single telestration you want to select, or by dragging a 'box' around the multiple telestrations you want to select with your finger.
- A Freehand Pencil, used to draw a line on the video via your finger. You can select the color of the line (see below).
- A Square. Choosing this option and then clicking on-screen will add a Square to the video. You can also draw a box onscreen to set the dimensions of the Square. When you 'Select' the Square(s) you set (via the 'Select' tool, above) you can resize or move the Square(s) by dragging the edges or center. 'Selecting' the Square will also present a green 'G' above the Square which will allow you to spin and/or reorient the graphic. You can select the color and type of the Square's border (solid, dotted, or dashed line - see below), as well as if it is a 'filled in' or 'empty' Square (see below).
- A Circle. Similar to the Square, choosing this option and then clicking on-screen will add a Circle to the video. You can also draw onscreen to set the dimensions of the Circle. When you 'Select' the Circle(s) you set (via the 'Select' tool, above) you can resize or move the Circle(s) by dragging the edges or center. 'Selecting' the Circle will also present a green 'G' above the Circle which will allow you to spin and/or reorient the graphic. You can select the color and type of the Circle's border (solid, dotted, or dashed line - see below), as well as if it is a 'filled in' or 'empty' Circle (see below).
- An Arrow. This will allow you to add an arrow to your video which will trace any path you assign to it. Tap a spot onscreen to set the start point, and tap again where you wish the arrow to stop or change direction. Repeat until you have the line you want. You can select the color and type of line (solid, dotted, or dashed line - see below).
- An "A" - Text. Tap this icon, and then anywhere on the screen to open a text box and enter text. After typing the text you want in your Text Box, tap anywhere on the screen outside of the Text Box to close and save it. When you 'Select' the Text Box you have put down (via the 'Select' tool, above), the green "G" above the Text Box will allow you to spin and/or reorient the Text Box. You can select the color and size of the text font (see below).
- A Trash Can - Delete. Using the Select Tool (see above), you can select a single or multiple telestrations to delete.
- A 'Delete All' / Clear Button. This deletes ALL telestrations on-screen at the time.
- A Checkmark - Save. This saves all visible telestrations in the frame. Autosave IS enabled, but the checkmark will turn red if there is at least one previously unsaved item to save. Any unsaved telestration will be lost. Please be sure to save your work.
- An 'Undo' button. This will remove telestrations from the screen, starting with the most recent telestration you set down (and working its way 'backwards').
- Exit Telestrator. Tap this to exit the telestrator and return to the video player controls.
Settings for your selected Telestration (line color, solid shapes, font size, etc.) are found directly underneath the menu of Telestration options at the top of the screen:
Depending on your selected Telestration, your options will include:
Line Color. When adding lines or shapes, you can set the outline color.
Fill Color. You can make the shapes you've added 'solid' by choosing a fill color for them.
Line Style. When adding lines or shapes, you can set the line quality (solid, dotted, or dashed).
Text Color. When adding text, you can choose the color.
Font Size. Small, Medium (default), Large, or Extra Large.
Re-orienting your Telestration: You can skew the angle of any Telestration you have added by tapping on the 'Select' tool (the "arrow" icon), tapping on your Telestration, and clicking and dragging on the green "G" at the top of the Telestration:
You'll know Telestrations are present on a clip by the 'teardrop' icon(s) above the timebar of the clip:
Whenever a Telestration pops up, the video will stop. Press play to resume watching the video.